Tuesday, April 7, 2009

JUST THE WAY I AM

I've mentioned a few times that I am a recovering legalist. Many times it takes just one "drink," and my walk in Liberty wavers. Especially after a few bad days. Legalism makes you feel distant to the Lord whenever your "performance" doesn't seem to you (or to others) to have "cut it." Words, like "struggle," "standards," "hard heart," "stiff necked" and "backslider," ring mercilessly in your head. Shame becomes your heavy robe. Legalism makes you "feel" you need to work back into His graces some how (as if that's what got you there in the first place)!

We start believing, legalistically, that WE have to maintain and stay in the love of God, stay in His good graces. . . rather than the truth . . . He maintains us and keeps us. The mindset of the law is probation. The mindset of grace is complete unconditional pardon! The Lord's Salvation has nothing to do with our performance. He already "performed" on our behalf. Now it's by faith in His performance that we stand in God's Grace.

The battle some times is just in staying convinced and knowing His heart and grace when you feel faithless. The battle is His, however, and when He breaks through . . . WOW! The depth of the Savior's heart and love is AMAZING! It takes all the weight of shame and standard and conditions off and your exalted response is "I am Yours forever!" He has won my heart by His great mercy. And it's that same great Mercy that keeps me convinced and relieved. It makes me want to be like Him. . . rather than have to be like Him.

About 3 a.m. this morning, I was calling out to the Shepherd of the Hills. Some times the only word left you can say is just, "HELP!" He knows that code word for a crisis moment. . . of unbelief, troubled times, and the prison of legalism. Then I went back to bed. I want to share this because I know that I'm not the only one in Christiandom who is in this battle to stay convinced of the Good News of the Gospel.

A little while later, after falling back to sleep, the Lord of Love and Life, "Great Heart," straightened out my helmet of the hope of salvation by singing this Billy Joel song to me . . . .

JUST THE WAY YOU ARE ~~

Don't go changing, to try and please Me,
You never let me down before,
Don't imagine, you're too familiar,
And I don't see you anymore.


I would not leave you, in times of trouble,
We never could have come this far,
I took the good times, I'll take the bad times,
I'll take you just the way you are.

Don't go trying, some new fashion,
Don't change the colour of your hair,
You always have my, unspoken passion,
Although I might not seem to care.


I need to know that you will always be
The same old someone that I knew,
What will it take till you believe in Me,
The way that I believe in you?

I said I love you, and that's forever,
And this I promise from the heart,
I couldn't love you, any better,
I love you just the way you are.

I don't want clever, conversation,
I never want to work that hard,
I just want someone, that I can talk to,
I want you just the way you are.


Ahhhhh, back to the Relief of God and resting in His acceptance . . . not based on performance . . .not conditional. . . .no strings are attached . . . there is no "small print" to surprise me. . . just the Gift of Salvation purchased by The Lord of Love, Jesus Christ.

You might want to grab a kleenex, enjoy the video and take hold of this Word for yourself. . . that the Lord Loves you just the way you are! He just wants someone that He can talk to. He'll never leave you even in times of trouble. He takes the good times with the bad. You don't need to "try" or "change." You'll always have His undying passion. His love is forever, that's a promise from His heart. And He can't love you any better than He loves you right now!


May our response be the same as the great hymn by Charles Elliot (1841), "Just as I Am, Without One Plea" . . . .

Just as I am,
Without one plea,
But that thy blood was shed for me,
And that thou bidd'st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee, Whose Blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt;
Fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive;
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve,
Because Thy promise I believe!
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, Thy love unknown
Has broken every barrier down;
Now to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am,
Of that free love
The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,
Here for a season, then above:
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.


I'm here, Lord! Fully-accepted, fully-convinced, and fully-kept! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment